A GRAND ADVENTURE


Hey Friends!!!


Wow…this week was absolutely insane. I don't even know if I can put it into words. So much happened, I cannot believe that it was only one week!

 

First, something funny: so… people—here in the Philippines—have a different shape to their faces than I do. And one of those things that is different is their noses. Well, we were in a lesson with a recent convert, and they looked at me and said "Your nose is pointy…almost like…a mountain! Yes! You have a mountain nose, and we have a hill nose!" That was really funny. I wasn't sure if it was a compliment, but then they told me my nose was maganda (beautiful), so I guess I will accept my mountain nose.

 

Some interesting things about my area:

My ward has three bishops. Two of them serve in neighboring wards where they have less leadership. It’s kind of like how bishops are called for student wards, but it isn’t for a student ward. Our ward is a “stronger” area, and they need leaders for the other areas, which means some of our leaders are used for those areas.

 

Some successes from the week:

 

I extended a baptism invitation!!

The day started out a bit difficult. I was missing my family a lot, and it was just a little rough. But as we headed to our first appointment of the day, my companion asked me if I could extend the invitation for baptism. I was so nervous! But I did it! I don't think it made a lot of sense, but I still did it! (Then my companion repeated the invitation in correct Tagalog.) The best part was that she accepted! She will be baptized next month!

 

Another success, Nanay Leonida, had her baptism interview today and she is ready to be baptized this week! I am so excited for her. She comes to church every week and she knows it is true! It is awesome! 

 

I also gave a talk in church this week!! Our bishop called us Saturday afternoon and asked us to speak. My companion helped me translate my talk into Tagalog, and I think it went well. I practiced a bunch before giving it, but I still had to mostly read it because Tagalog is hard. But I am glad I was able to do it all! It sounds like I will have to talk every month…so I will have to start preparing my next talk soon!

 

Our friends are progressing so well! And we have found a bunch of new people this week! One of them, I led on knocking doors, and it is a cute family and we have already taught them twice! I hope they will continue to learn more! Please pray for the Masigan family.

 

This week has been challenging, but good all at the same time. There are moments when I feel homesick, lonely, or discouraged because I am struggling with the language. I am working on seeing the good in every situation, which has been really helpful. Even though it is hard, I am also loving it. I love working and sharing the gospel. And even when I cannot understand, I am learning to have patience and I am still able to feel the spirit even if I do not know what is being said.


God just wants me to stretch and become more like Him, so this language is His tool. It’s a good thing. I am blessed with a companion who helps me understand. I really appreciate that she takes time to explain. Sometimes when I am talking to other people and I do not understand, they give up and switch to English which is hard because I want to learn Tagalog, it just takes me a minute to understand. However, I just get to tell them to say it in Tagalog and I will try to understand! It is a learning process, but I know that God is helping me, and I will grow closer to Him through the struggle.

 

Something that was fun this week was ZONE CONFERENCE!! I loved it! It was so fun to learn with a bunch of missionaries and it was fun to meet new people! I met 4 missionaries from Idaho! They were awesome and super kind. It helped me feel like it was ok that I am struggling with some things right now, because apparently—everyone does, and they assured me that it will get better! 

 

Overall, it was a good week. Yes, there were hard things, but missions aren’t meant to be easy. I love that I get to look for the good even when it is hard. 

 

I read this verse this week and I loved it. It is in 2 Nephi 31:19

 

“And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.”

 

I love this! When I struggled a little bit, I thought of this verse. I am on a mission because of the word of Christ and because of my faith in Him. He is the reason I am on a mission, and through Him I will be able to be the missionary I need to be. It gave me a lot of peace. I am here to learn and grow and bring others to Christ. I just need to rely on Him fully. There are highs and lows in everything that we do, but if we will turn to Christ and completely rely on Him, he will help us grow and help us make it through the difficulties.

 

Being a missionary is so amazing! I feel so close to my Savior. I am being stretched in so many ways and my testimony is growing so much!

 

The Philippines is a beautiful place! And the people are just as beautiful. There is this one family in our ward who help me feel like I am at home, even though I am far from my family. They are so kind and loving. I just love them. And I do love it here. The culture here is all about taking time to love people around you and it is beautiful.

 

An answer to a question I received this week: Here in the Philippines, the main language is Tagalog; however, there are a lot of dialects. The main dialect in Cauayan is Ilocano. A lot of people speak it here, so it is helpful to learn a little, but most people also understand Tagalog, so I am just trying to learn Tagalog right now. I might try and learn Ilocano as I get further into my mission.

 

I love you all! Thank you for the love and support! Even though I cannot respond to emails, I really appreciate them! 

 

Remember how amazing all of you are! I miss you and love you!

 

The Church is true, God loves you!

Love, 

Sister Miller

 

Pictures:

 

Teaching appointments!!

One of the people we found owns a restaurant and gave us free food!!

Some pictures from zone conference (my trainer and her old trainee and me!)

We went to a wedding this week and took a picture with one of the bishops in the area.

Someone gave us cake at an appointment.

We bought dirty ice cream! (Ice cream that someone makes...don't worry, I didn't get sick!)











 

Comments

Popular Posts