Merry Christmas from the Philippines

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

I hope you are all having the best Christmas Eve!! It is Christmas here in the Philippines today! 

God knew that I was missing the cold, so he sent a typhoon our way…don't worry, the typhoon is not actually hitting where I am, but it has been cold and wet!! The weather has been the coldest I have experienced in the Philippines…not THAT cold…but when you are used to it being hot…it feels very cold!! We got out our slacks and sweaters!! I loved it!

Overall, it was an amazing week!! And let me tell you, this Christmas has been absolutely magical. I will tell you all about it in just a second because first, I have to tell you about some amazing miracles with our friends!

So, for the last few months, we have been teaching this wonderful family: The Caliguiran Family. At first, our struggle was convincing them to come to church, but then we had an amazing lesson with them about miracles and faith, and they have been coming to church ever since (It was the family that we promised blessings to if they came.)!

However, as we discussed baptism with them, they kept on saying they were not ready, which was totally fine! However, as time kept passing, they kept saying they weren’t ready yet.

I had the wonderful opportunity to talk to my family about the Caliguiran family last p-day. My sister and dad gave some really good advice about making a goal. If our goal is to come closer to Christ, but we have no end, then it is more of a wish than a goal. But if we have something to work towards, then it becomes a goal! Sister Nacar and I took this advice to heart and the day after P-day, we went straight to the Caliguiran family to make their wish into a goal!

We had an amazing experience, and the spirit was so strong. As we explained that we wanted to help them make their goal a reality, and extended a date to them, the spirit was so strong. Tatay accepted easily. Nanay hesitated for a minute but accepted too. Sister Nacar and I were a little nervous that Nanay was not sure, but we went back a couple of days later to extend to their daughter, and Nanay said to her daughter, “Tatay and I know it is true, but you need to find out for yourself too!”

AHHH! Sister Nacar and I were practically glowing from excitement! Nanay is in the beginning of a testimony and she understands that baptism is a big commitment. Her encouragement to her daughter was amazing. We are hoping that her daughter does gain a testimony of the gospel so we can help her too!

So that was the big miracle of this week! On top of that, we had a similar experience with Mary Ann. She is the mom of the two kids we baptized just recently. She had been reading the Book of Mormon consistently, but not ready for baptism yet. However, we extended a goal date for her too and she accepted! She gave up coffee and is ready to make the commitment!

Sister Nacar and I are so happy to be helping these families come closer to Christ! Miracles are real. The gospel is true. It helps people feel the love of Christ and have a desire to change! I am so grateful to be a part of their spiritual journey.

Ok. Now for the Christmas magic! 

I am going to be 100% honest with you. Not even two weeks ago, I told my family that Christmas as a missionary was hard and I just wanted it to end. However, I started working on finding ways to serve my Kabahays and the people that we teach! Sister Nacar and I have been sharing Christmas messages all week, and inviting everyone to church and it has got me excited for Christmas! 

But then…it got even better!

At DCM (District Council Meeting), one of the elders showed up with 5 massive bags stuffed with toys. He and his mom had put a plan together to allow us to help the kids in our areas who may not be having much for Christmas this year. He gave one bag to each companionship with the instructions to hand out toys to children in our areas.

Sister Nacar and I were practically giddy with excitement. We hurried to the store and bought wrapping paper and got to work, preparing and planning for each child we were teaching.

I cannot even express to you how much of a miracle this was. Sister Nacar and I are in a pretty poor area. There are a lot of children who will probably not get anything for Christmas this year. We knew that we could not give a toy to every child that we saw, but even helping a little would be a miracle.

As we headed out on Friday to deliver the presents, we felt a little bit like Santa! We had this massive bag full of wrapped presents and we were ready to spread some Christmas cheer!

We headed to Compania, which is our poorest area. We handed out presents one by one. As the kids got the presents, their eyes lit up with excitement. Some of the kids we had never met before, some of the kids were the ones we were teaching. But all had the same reactions: they were all so excited. 

Some of them jumped up and down. Others ran to tell their friends where we were. Others ripped open the package as fast as they could. And some opened it slowly. Giving the presents was magical and it has been one of my favorite experiences on the mission.

This Elder who gave us the presents, while trying to help the kids that we teach, actually made Christmas for me one of the most special Christmases that I have had. I feel so blessed that I had the opportunity to share with the kids. Planning and preparing for their Christmas was a gift to me. I will be forever grateful for this Christmas. 

Giving is truly the best gift.

A Christmas that started out hard, has truly been a miracle.

It is Christmas Eve for most of you. For my spiritual thought, I want to share one of my favorite verses from the Book of Mormon. This is in Mosiah 14:4-5, speaking about Jesus:

4 Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.  

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes, we are healed.

I love these verses so much. This is the reason we celebrate Christmas. He came so that we can live again. Because he carried our sorrows and atoned for our sins, we can find everlasting joy. This is the reason that Jesus Christ came into the world. This is the good tidings of great joy.

I love my Savior. I know that my He lives. I am so grateful for this chance to celebrate Him on my mission. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. Maybe spend a little time pondering what Christmas means to you this year and think about what you can give to the Savior.

I love Christmas! I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
The Church is true, God loves you.
Be happy, Be brave, Be smart,
Love,
Sister Miller















Comments

Popular Posts