LOOK UP!

Hello Friends!

This week was absolutely crazy, but it was a good time! We had some highs and lows, and it was definitely a week to remember.

 

First, my lovely, sweet companion, Sister Arcayos, finished her mission this week! I am heartbroken to see her go. We had a great time together. We were only together for a little over two weeks, but it was an amazing two weeks, and I am so grateful for all I learned and did with her during that time. We have faced a lot of challenges opening an area, but I cannot imagine the beginnings of opening an area with anyone else! She is an amazing missionary and so dedicated to serving the Lord.

 

Because she was leaving at the end of the week, we had a lot of things we had to do! But despite a busy schedule, we were still able to get to work. And with all of our hard work, we, of course, had a miracle! We have been teaching an amazing family: The Uy family. They are so receptive to the gospel, and they accepted our invitation for baptism this week!! Before they can be baptized, however, Nanay needs to be able to give up coffee. We taught them about the commandments and how God asks us not to drink coffee, and then we invited her not to drink coffee anymore. She told us she would try... but as we discussed what we could do to help her, we offered to just take the rest of her coffee and make her promise not to buy anymore. She loved this plan and said “yes”! So, we took her coffee containers and left. After a few days, we went back to return her coffee containers, but this time, they were filled with cookies and milk. When we met with her, she told us she hadn't had any coffee and even when she was with her friends and they were drinking coffee, she still didn't drink any!! Her faith is amazing!! We are so excited for her to continue to progress!

 

I also was able to work with Sister Gonzales a lot this week. Sister Gonzales’ companion was also headed home this week. The missionaries going home had a lot of meetings. While they were in meetings, Sister Gonzales and I got to work. It was a great time working in both areas and meeting new people. I also loved seeing a different style of teaching and learning and growing! Plus, Sister Gonzales and I are now companions until the transfer date in two weeks. So, we get to keep having fun together covering two areas!

 

This week was also Zone Conference! I love Zone Conference! We learned about relying on the spirit and becoming a little better every day. For Zone Conference, two zones met together, but there are only 4 sisters in the entire two zones! So…we got assigned to do the musical number. It was actually so fun! My companion had written a Tagalog version of the song “Rest” from Strive to Be, and it was really cool to sing it.

 

This week was just so full of craziness—not only did we have Zone Conference, along with my companion preparing to go home, but we also had a mission-wide vaccine day!

 

Everyone in the entire mission traveled to Cauayan (for us, this was a 3+ hour bus ride). We got to see EVERYONE in the mission! I saw my friends from the MTC and my first area! It was so fun! I loved seeing Sister Hammari, and Sister Nacar again. The only downside was that we had to get a shot… but it will protect me from one of the many diseases that mosquitoes give. So, it was a good thing overall.

 

When we were finally able to get back to our area, the work continued! Sister Gonzales and I officially became companions after the mission vaccine day (our companions stayed in Cauayan). We worked hard and had a good time. We were able to extend baptism to someone in her area, which was amazing. I love being a part of two areas. It is challenging sometimes and it feels like there are not enough hours in the day, but it is also a great growing and stretching experience.

 

My spiritual thought today comes from Elder Choi. In one of his conference talks (“Don’t Look Around, Look Up”). He shares about an experience that was hard for him. When he talked to his dad about the experience, his dad told him:

 

“Do not lose your faith because of the people around you but build a strong relationship with Jesus Christ. Don’t look around, look up!”

 

I love this. I love the idea that we need to focus on looking at Jesus and not at the world around us. Jesus is the only perfect person. He is the rock of our salvation. When we build our relationship and our testimony on Him, then the challenges that come with life are bearable. If we look around, then it is easy to fall. I think of Peter walking on water. When he looked at the Savior, he was safe. But when he looked around, he started to sink.

 

If we focus on the things of the world, we can get lost. But as we focus on our Savior, Jesus Christ, we are sure, safe, and protected.

 

There is a story in the book, Saints when God called a new member of the church to become a Branch President in Brazil. The member didn't know a lot. He felt inadequate. He felt like He was not enough, but he said that he recognized that God didn't need a perfect Branch President, but he needed someone who had enthusiasm for the work.

 

I am not perfect. I have a lot of flaws, I can't always remember people's names, I am not as patient as I should be, and I don't speak perfect Tagalog. But I do love God and I love serving.

 

This thought about looking up reminded me to accept my efforts, to stop seeing my flaws, and to focus on what God sees and what I can do. I can have enthusiasm for the work. I can allow God to magnify my efforts. Because God does. If God loves me despite my imperfections, how much more do I need to love myself? This is God's work. It matters what He thinks and what He sees. It DOES NOT matter what other people in the mission think. I can give my best. I can be enthusiastic. I can love the people. I can work hard. I can commit myself to improve. I can take a deep breath. I am putting in an effort to help people come closer to Christ. God loves me and loves my effort!

 

One day at a time. One lesson at a time…

 

And that, my friends, is how I feel about choosing to “look up”, which is what I plan to do!

 

This week is going to be another crazy week! We have a mission tour with Elder Choi. It will be a great learning experience and I am excited!

 

I hope you all have another great week! I miss you all!

 

The church is true, God loves you,

Be happy, Be brave, Be smart,

Love,

Sister Miller

 



















Comments

Popular Posts